Search this blog


Home My Twitter My Facebook My Resume
3/24/10

John Mayer visits St. Louis  


John Mayer returned to St. Louis Saturday night for his Battle Studies tour at the Scottrade Center. It was the first time I've seen John Mayer indoors. He usually tours during the summer and plays at outdoor arenas so I was a little weary about what it would be like to see him in such a huge venue. Would it sound the same? Would it be sold out? One of the best parts of seeing John Mayer outside is that everyone is cramped together on the lawn, singing and dancing along, warm weather, nighttime....you get the picture. I was pleasantly surprised to feel comfortable inside. It didn't seem too big and it looked like most of the seats were filled. I would have been bothered if I could see empty seats...it would just seem wrong. Anyways, Michael Franti and Spearhead opened the show. He was probably the most entertaining opening act I've seen in a long time. People really seemed to be into his set which is interesting because I've only ever heard one of his songs. After waiting in a line for 15 minutes to use the bathroom, John Mayer finally hit the stage and kicked off the show with his hit single, "Heartbreak Warfare."

He ditched his leather jacket, bared his arms and went straight into a mash up of "Why Georgia" and "Message in a Bottle." Next came "Vultures," "Something's Missing," and "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," which was definitely a crowd favorite. He played "Perfectly Lonely," and "Assassin," from the album "Battle Studies," and then he really shocked me. Out of nowhere he played "Wheel," the final track on "Heavier Things," a song he almost never plays in concert, and one of my all time favorites. It's a pretty emotional song and reminds me of high school. I flipped out when I heard it. It made up for all of my other favorite songs he didn't play. I took a bathroom break during "Daughters." He then played "Crossroads," "Waiting on the World to Change," "Half of my Heart," and ended with "No Such Thing." I was a little sad that out of all of his music he played "No Such Thing." It's not a bad song, but it's not great either. I would have rather heard just about any other song from "Room for Squares."

For the encore he came back with "Who Says." Despite the concert being indoors, people definitely started lighting up during his, "who says I can't get stoned," song. With everyone throwing up their lighters and cell phones, John decided to turn off all the lights on stage and went into "Gravity." Appropriately the lights came up during the lyrics, "keep me where the light is." John then went into 5 minutes of some serious guitar playing...over his head and on the ground. It was really amazing and was the perfect way to end the show. I was ready for him to smash his guitar and light it on fire after all the theatrics. My favorites of the night- "Heartbreak Warfare," "Why Georgia," "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room," "Wheel," "Half of my Heart," and "Gravity." I loved the show and I love John. Can't wait until I can see him live again.

(as always, click on the pictures to make them bigger!)

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories