Search this blog


Home My Twitter My Facebook My Resume
9/16/09

Ellen Degeneres on "American Idol"  


I wasn't exactly thrilled with the announcement last week that Ellen Degeneres would be replacing Paula Abdul as a judge on "American Idol." While I don't watch "American Idol," I do watch "The Ellen Degeneres Show" and am generally an all-around Ellen fan. So why do I care that Ellen has picked up a second job? I feel like it's going to become too much a part of her daytime show. In previous seasons, Ellen featured all the "Idol" cast-offs each week and gave recaps of the show. It's already too much "Idol" for my liking and I speed through it. Now with Ellen on the show I can only imagine there's going to be much, much more talk of "Idol," which means more work fast forwarding and paying attention for me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I do a thousand things at once and when I playback talk shows they don't always have my full attention. It makes watching TV feel not as fun when I have to be picky about my content.

Ellen is widely beloved and you rarely hear a bad word against her. The only criticism I've heard is from my 85-year-old grandpa who told me he didn't like her because she "has short hair and wears keds." I think Ellen being a part of both shows is going to wear thin on people and probably make her less likable, which I don't want to see happen.

Here's a funny clip of Ellen's staff members trying to scare her, but my all time favorite Ellen moment comes at 1:35 with Steve Carrell.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Ellen Degeneres on "American Idol"

  • me
    September 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM  

    your grandpa is right on. Girls who wear keds are yuckie!

  • Tyler Fenwick
    September 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

    If she already has a recap of the show and has the contestants come on, I don't think there is much else she can do to take up more time from her show. I don't think she'll take time to critique the performances, because she's going to be on the show more for comedy/encouragement than for criticism of the contestants. I think you and your fast forward button can stop worrying.