Search this blog


Home My Twitter My Facebook My Resume
6/14/10

Doubly disappointed in "My Sister's Keeper"  

Sometimes girls just want a good cry. It's true. There are days where we just want to read a cheesy book or watch a sad movie and remember that our problems aren't so bad. Such was the case when I borrowed the book, "My Sister's Keeper," by Jodi Picoult from a friend. I remember seeing previews for the movie so I knew it was going to be a real downer. What I didn't know was that a very popular and widely received book could be so incredible juvenile.

Each chapter of the book is told from the first person narration of each character and is written in different fonts in case you needed more distinction that you're reading someone else's opinion. I've read books with two or three different perspectives...but seven different points of view? It left absolutely no sense of mystery and left nothing up to interpretation. The story itself was an interesting take on a family struggling with cancer. The main character, Anna, is admirable. So when I finally got over the cheese factor and started enjoying the book thinking things are going to wrap up just how I imagine they will then...BOOM!

It seems like Jodi Picoult consulted M. Night Shyamalan in writing the last ten pages. Picoult throws in a major, unexpected tragedy and gives us ten whole pages (from three different perspectives) to deal. Because she shocked us and made us cry are we supposed to think that this is good or worthy literature? Hardly. It's a cheap, trash novel that could have told a emotional story about a struggling family, but instead took the route of ripping our hearts out and calling it a day.

I was so furious with the ending that I immediately wanted to watch the movie to see if it would redeem itself. I had heard friends say the movie was nothing like the book, so I figured that perhaps the movie would take the high road and eliminate the trick ending while keeping the heart of the story. Well, wrong again. Yes, the ending is different but the entire movie is focused on Kate, the sister with cancer, rather than Anna, the book's protagonist. So basically they removed the only good parts of the book (Hello? Campbell and Julia!) and added a super whiny Cameron Diaz.

Boo's all around for "My Sister's Keeper."

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories